Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae

Monday, June 7, 2010

June 6, 2010

It looks like it is going to be a beautiful day and breezy. Drinking bottles and water dish on hand, Maggie and I set out for Myrtle Beach, about 70 miles from the campground. Myrtle Beach is your typical touristy beach with hundreds of shops selling beach and tourist stuff. I did realize just how hot it would be on the coast. Temperature at one bank said it was 96 degrees. After only walking a short distance to the boardwalk and beach, I realized the walking surfaces were much to hot for Maggie’s feet. She is only 15#, but feels like a hundred after about 20 minutes. Consequently, we did not stay to long, and I learned my lesson to leave her in the lovely a/c of the rig unless we are just taking a ride in the air conditioned car. It was an absolutely beautiful beach. Maybe I will camp there next time around.


June 5

Leave McIntosh Lake for Bass Lake Campground, Dillon SC…….244 miles

Getting hooked up this a.m. and checked the propane. I thought I had it on, but it had been off. When I turned the knob, propane leaked out my extended stay hose. I did not have the strength in my hands to disconnect the extended stay hose, so shut the propane off and stopped at a Camping World along I 95. The young man there was so nice, but even he had to recruit one of his associates. The second guy looked like he lifted weights, but even the 2 of them together had a hard time getting it off. They finally succeeded, I rewarded them with lunch money, and I was off again. I pulled into Bass Lake about 2:30 in the afternoon. It was about 93 outside. Debbie put me in a nice treed pull through. The park has nice flat grassed areas and a small lake at one side. It is very close to the highway, but you do not hear any noise. I was only going to stay 2 days and boondook one before heading for Thousand Trails in Lynchburg VA, but I decided to stay 3, then make the longer haul. Super Walmart is only a few short miles from here, so I went for milk, bread and eggs. I also bought a new wrench like the ones the guys used as I didn’t have one with me and some hydraulic fluid in case I have trouble with my leveling jacks again. After watching where the hydraulic fluid goes and watching the guy fix my power cord, I think I could do both without too much trouble.


June 4, 2010

I took a ride to Sapelo Island. I thought I could drive over on a bridge, so I brought Maggie with me. When I got there, I found out, the only way to get to the island was on a ferry. I did stop at a fruit and vegetable stand and bought some GA peaches and a cantelope. Both were supper sweet. I made a small peach cobbler out of some of the peaches as I new they would go bad before I could eat them all. Yummy. Rained in the afternoon, so it became a lazy day.

June 3, 2010

Leave Old Mill Stream for McIntosh Lake RV Campground, Townsend GA…..222 miles

I try to keep with my 230 rule when ever possible. That is: do about 230 miles, arrive at destination by 2:30 and stay at least 2 days between sites. It doesn’t always work, and that is ok. I also stop frequently as my dog has bad knees and I want her to be able to get up and walk around a bit. She has to wear a seat belt, just like me, so it restricts her movement a bit. This is my little girl, Maggie Mae in her relaxed mode.

First day of my North Eastern Summer travels. I started out by finding my power cord was blacked and one of the pegs was pretty loose. Decided to find an RV repair person on the way. I left Umatilla on the way to Townsend GA. I talked to Mike on the phone and he found an RV Service place in Brunswick GA that could do the work for me. They charged me a full hour service even though it only took about 20 minutes. I got out of there after spending $157.86 for parts and labor. Yikes! McIntosh Lake RV Park is an older campground right on a small lake. This quiet park is rustic but very nice for an overnight or a few days. The owner Leah was pleasant and helpful. She told me she did away with billboards and most advertising so she could keep the prices low. No frills so the rates are good and came to about $22.00 including the tax. She even supplies cable TV which is a nice perk. I barely got hooked up and the rains came. I would love to sit on the swing if it was not for the rain.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/ready2go83/newenglandtrip001.jpg?t=1275658433http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/ready2go83/newenglandtrip001.jpg?t=1275658433http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/ready2go83/newenglandtrip001.jpg?t=1275658433

1 comment: