Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae

Friday, June 25, 2010

Trail Ride

It was a beautiful day in PA today. We took a ride out into the country looking for the "big round barn" which is on the historic register. Although we did find it, it was not really what we expected. Fresh produce was really expensive compared to the supermarket.
This evening we finally got to go on our trail ride to the battlefield. There were 16 riders with only one of us that were experienced. I have not been on a horse in at least 35 years. As you can see, we make quite the fashion statement in our riding helmets. Janice is ready to go


They gave us all general instructions before bringing us to our horses. They had a block that we could climb on to get up unto our horses. It is a good thing as I would have never been able to get my foot that high in the stirrup to be able to pull myself up onto her back. They picked out a really nice horse named Misty, for me. I was hoping she was not psychotic like in the movie "Play Misty for Me". She turned out to be a perfect lady.


Janice had a really large horse named Stoney, who had one speed....slow. This was great for her as she had never been on a horse. They had everyone mounted on their horses in the barn area, before putting us in the order they wanted.


They had three "wranglers" take us out. I am glad I did not see one of them thrown from her horse even before I got out of the barn. This is our group. I was last in line and Janice was in front of me. She took this picture.

Our ride took us through the area where some of the heaviest fighting occurred the first few days of July 1863. The forest is still much the same as it was 147 years ago.
One of the wranglers was nice enough to take this picture of the two of us.

At the top right hand side of this picture, you can see the PA Monument.

A cannon ball hit this building. You can still see the hole that it left.

No comments:

Post a Comment