Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Shady Maple

Today we took a short ride (76 miles one way) to go to the Shady Maple Smorgasbord in East Earl PA. My friend Sharon, from the Women's RV Forum introduced me to this place 2 years ago. Believe me, it is worth the drive. If you are ever in the Lancaster area, it is a must stop!



We got there mid afternoon and decided to shop in the mammoth downstairs gift shop. I bought a new mouse pad with Westies on it, of course! They had a beautiful homemade quilt hanging on one of the walls for $695. I took a picture, but for some reason, it came out all fuzzy. You will just have to take my word for it. The upstairs has a giant dining room as well as separate banquet rooms. The place has chandeliers handing all over the place.



When we were at the NC monument the other day, Janice met a family from High Point NC that were heading for Lancaster. We told them they just had to go to the Shady Maple.

The Smorgasbord boast 200 feet of deliciously authentic Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking and they are so right. They have grilling and carving stations where they make NY strip steaks, salmon, ham, roast beef, veal cutlets, sausages, and chicken to mention just a few. They have loads of vegetables, salad and the best homemade desserts you can find anywhere. I was so stuffed I could hardly move. On top of that, our dinner came with a free full size loaf of apple bread from the Shady Maple Market. Yum.

Guess what?? As we were leaving, who do we see in line but the very family we saw at the monument. I told them I left them a little food.

This area is Amish and Mennonite country. We saw a family picking up bundles of hay by hand and throwing it onto a horse drawn wagon. The wagon was being driven by a little slip of a girl. I did not take their picture as I was not sure if it was disrespectful. They were watching us watch them. I smiled and waved and they waved back. I did take a picture of the hay field and you can see how it is gathered together and bundled. They use long pitchforks to pick up the piles.

I just love that area. It is so beautiful. Hope you all get the chance to go there one day. Until next time........

1 comment:

  1. Karen, I hope you and Janice ate enough for me. I am sooooo hungry for that good PA Dutch food! Glad you got to revisit there and enjoy it :) Now my mouth is watering. Thank you very much ;)

    Love,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete