Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae

Monday, June 28, 2010

Trip to western PA

Yesterday we took a trip to see my Cousin Jim. He lives close to Ligonier PA. We had a very scenic ride there on route 30, but I am very glad I was not driving the motor home. I drove up and down several mountains with steep grades that rival and even better the Rockies. One grade was 9%. Trucks were only allowed to go 20mph with plenty of S-curves. I would not like to be doing this in the winter for sure. The scenery is beautiful. Jim took Janice and I to lunch at a really nice restaurant in Ligonier.
RESTAURANT


The waitress was nice enough to take the picture of us.


LIGONIER TOWN SQUARE

The road comes into town and goes completely around the square. It reminded me a lot of the town I grew up in, only we called our area "The Green" and we had a gazebo too. Jim said they play music in the gazebo and at Christmas time, they light up the square.
On the way there and back, we took some cool pictures.

PAINTED BARN


BUFFALO CROSSING


GAS PUMP


A BIT OF WHIMSEY


On a more somber note, we also spotted a sign for the temporary 9-11 Flight 93 Memorial. It was about 10 miles off route 30. They are going to make a permanent memorial and dedicate it on the 10 year anniversary of 9-11 next year. It will be part of the National Parks System. Those passengers were surely heroes that day when the deliberately sacrificed themselves to prevent yet another catastrophe on that day. I am glad they are going to build a memorial for them.

MEMORIAL


REMEMBERENCE WALL



ALONG LINCOLN HIGHWAY


Tomorrow we head to New York and then on to VT. Until next time...........

1 comment: