Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Through Ontario to Michigan

My internet connection is iffy here, but will try to post anyway. Tuesday I got up early, (well early for me) and was on the bridge connecting Niagara Falls with Canada by 8:00. The roads were good all the way and I did not encounter any construction. They must do it at night. I made it across in just under 4 hours until I came to a crawl at the Blue Water Bridge. The left lane is for trucks only, the middle for those who have an easy pass and the right side for all the rest of us.

The border is just on the other side and traffic was backed up on the entire bridge. Stop and Go. The bridge is magnificent but not for people who are afraid of heights. It is 1 1/2 miles long and 152 feet at the top. About 15 stories till you hit the water.

CUSTOMS AT THE MICHIGAN BORDER

I stopped at the place that was going to fix my jacks to make sure they had the parts for the Wed. appointment. They did, but told me it is an all day job. I decided to get a pull through for the first night so I could keep the car hitched. It worked out well and I was at Blue Gryphon before 8 the next morning. Good thing for me that it was a beautiful day as most places will not let you bring a dog inside. Let me tell you it is a long day. We stopped at every park we found and drove around to see the area. I also went back to Thousand Trails and put dibs on the site I wanted. I left a chair and my cooler to make sure it was still available to me when I picked up the rig at 5pm.

I went to the Thomas A Edison River Walk. They have a nice boardwalk along the St. Clair River where you can watch the big boats go by. There were a group of kids swimming in the river and having a great time.
RIVER WALKS IN PORT HURON
The park is kept up really well with lots of trees, park benches, flowers and green grass. You can see the Blue Water Bridge from there.

HURON LIGHT SHIP MUSEUM

Light ships were like floating lighthouses which were anchored in places that were too deep, expensive or impractical to build a lighthouse. The Huron was the last light ship to retire from the Great Lakes and is now a museum. I was there too early to go inside. They did not open until 11a.m. and I did not think they would let me bring Maggie inside any way.
Until next time........................

1 comment:

  1. Great Pictures. Sure wish we were along for the ride.

    Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete