Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Avebury Stone Circle

I have been to Stonehenge before, but Mike found and even bigger stone circle in the town of Avebury.   This circle is truly massive in size, and the stones are pretty big too.  It is so large that you cannot get it in one picture, no matter how far away you stand.  I read where it is the largest stone circle in Europe.  It was thought to be constructed about 2600 BCE.  



The town was built around the circle.  We ate in a great little restaurant/pub.

I am a fan of British comedies on PBS and I was surprised that a manor house in Avebury was use for the series To The Manor Born.  As we drove through the little towns, you could see all the thatched cottages and really old stone churches.  There is so much history here.  Speaking of driving, which I will not do, you do not have any stop signs.  They use roundabouts it seems like about every 50 feet.  Very few traffic lights and I think I only saw one police car the whole time we were there.  Mike brought his GPS from home and it was a life saver.  It would tell you to take the 3rd exit on a particular roundabout.  We did not make too many errors, and the GPS would quickly recalculate and get us back on track

No comments:

Post a Comment