Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae

Monday, September 20, 2010

Final leg of the Summer Journey

I left Indiana for Kentucky on the 11th. Now those who know me, no that I rarely get away without some kind of problem and this time was no different. Just west of Indianapolis I had a strange feeling through my left foot. Lucky for me I was coming up to a rest area so I pulled in to see what was going on with my rig. All outward appearance looked fine....and then I opened the hood. One of my 6 volt "house batteries" was hanging by only its cables. The tray it sits on was completely rusted out. A really nice trucker put on his coveralls and tried to bungee it in place just long enough for me to get back to the TA truck stop. I waited 3 hours for the mechanic when another trucker noticed how long I was there and came over to help. He recommended that since I did not need the house battery to travel, to just take it out until a permanent solution could be made. He did that for me and I was able to be on my way. This is what the tray looked like bungeed in place.

TOP VIEW


VIEW FROM BOTTOM


With only one 6 volt battery connected, the 12 volt circuit does not work, therefore, the room slide would not go out. Not the end of the world, but tight living quarters.

I called ahead to a welder and he told me he would come over as soon as I arrived and give me an estimate. So onward I traveled.

This was taken at the AL Welcome Center.


I arrived at my site on Fri and the welder came right over. He gave me a written estimate and said he would do the job early the next week. It will be nice to spread out again and settle in for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment